Monday 23 February 2015

Edinburgh Adventures

In my eyes, Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities and to me it is a 'walking city', you just have to get out and explore by foot. I spent the weekend in the city with my boyfriend and his fam, so we had a huge apartment to host the eight of us through until the morning after a big ol' Scottish birthday do.

Here I am just going to share some images and hot spots to visit on a short break away.






 
Day trips:
The best recommendation I can give for Edinburgh is to just put on your walking boots and take a stroll. The architecture and highland back drop is so spectacular that I could just wonder around all day taking hundreds of photos. We started at Edinburgh Castle for a little history lesson and to take the opportunity to look out over the city and out to sea! Well worth the hike up the street to get there. From the castle, follow the Royal Mile road straight back down (stop by Just Burgers and Beers to refuel) through the town, taking in the wide variety of 'Scotland souvenir' shops and get ready for some participation activities at Dynamic Earth. An activities centre which looks through the history of the universe, from space, the Big Bang and volcanoes to rainforests, the ice age and costal changes. 
 
 
Dinning:
For breakfast I would highly suggest you find the Smokestack on Broughton Street. With a wide selection of options from a slap up Full Breakfast,  bagels, and other savouries, to my choice of banana and chocolate waffles. A truly sweet way to start the morning and washed down with a 'morning glory' (ahem) smoothie; a mix of melon, banana and strawberry.



After reading The Little Magpie's recommendation to try Just Beer & Burgers, my boyfriend and I happened to stumble across this diner after a hearty walk around the Edinburgh Castle, so we figured it would be rude not to try it out. I can safely say it was a fantastic choice! The choice of burger is vast, pretty much any toppings you want in the 'build your own' or you can go with one of their combinations. I opted for The Brinner, basically breakfast in a burger, hash brown, fried egg, bacon, caramelised onions and the beef burger. Yum! As I'm not a massive beer fan I tried a kiwi and lime cider, which was so light and fresh I could probably have drunk them all day. 
 



 
I had such a wonderful weekend with my boyfriend and his family, ending with a party Saturday night to celebrate his Aunties birthday. Getting dolled up and drinking and dancing the night away with loved ones is the perfect way to end a great trip (the five hour journey home at 9am the next morning was not so much fun).

Let me know any places you'd like to visit in Edinburgh or places you love :) 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment