Monday 23 June 2014

Wimbledon 2014





 

Here it is, my favourite time of year. For two weeks I'm blissfully happy knowing that there will always be something for me to watch on TV and keep me entertained. Wimbledon; two weeks of fantastic tennis, enthralling matches and competition, all in the beautiful surroundings of SW19 (with a Pimms in your hand at all times, it's practically mandatory at The All England Lawn Tennis Club)
I just wanted to take this time to reflect on Andy Murray's euphoric win last summer and the emotions that came with it! It was great to see him come out onto Centre Court today as defending champion, breeze through his first round match and look delighted (and if not just a little bit relieved) to have started the tournament well. In the lead up to this year’s Wimbledon I have been looking back on some publications/books and news articles about Murray before and after his glorious triumph. It's so interesting to look back and read about how he was feeling before Wimbledon 2013, before his life changed and the weight was lifted off his shoulders, knowing now that he is the defending champion. 
If you're interested in reading up on Andy Murray's career so far and his road to Wimbledon 2013, then I highly recommend: Andy Murray Champion and Andy Murray Seventy Seven -My Road to Wimbledon Glory. Both fantastic books which really open your eyes to the world that Murray lives in. Also a great read is an article in the July 2013 issue of GQ, just before his Wimbledon campaign began, and they have recently followed up with an online article you can read here.
 
For a fashion fix, check out Mr Porter – The Look: Mr Andy Murray, where Andy Murray shows off that he is more than just the man behind the racket, he is a rather stylish gentleman too.
 
Wimbledon 2014; ones to watch:
Andy Murray; it would be wrong to think that Murray will be anything other than determined to hold onto that trophy and defend his title.
Rafael Nadal; last year he was one of the biggest shocks of the tournament, being knocked out in the first round by Belgian Steve Darcis. But this year, I think he's back to full fitness, he'll be feeling great after his French Open title and in all honesty I can never write Nadal off (especially not after watching him full power on the practice courts up close at the Australia Open in January, what a man!)
Grigor Dimitrov; my third one to watch is the young (and handsome) Bulgarian. At the ripe old age of 23 he is looking powerful and inspired. He won on grass at Queens Club, just a week ago, and is improving at every tournament. Back in January he got his first taste of a Grand Slam quarter final at the Australian Open (yes, I was there to witness this moment, makes me a bit giddy to think I was actually there!) So I think this could be Dimitrov's year to really make an impression at Wimbledon.

No comments:

Post a Comment